Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Traditions

Don't Worry, This isn't my Christmas Update. Its more of a Christmas Companion Rant/Post.

With this being Madison's very First Christmas, I've spent a lot of time thinking about the things I want our Family to hold near and dear for years to come when they think about the Christmas Season. Ive been reading, researching, remembering, and listening to Friends talk about what their favorite holiday memories are. What is it that defines Christmas all summed up into one moment. And I'm happy to say it wasn't about the Gifts!

When I think back on my own personal remembrances of Christmas as a Child There is only one Christmas where I can remember the Gift. I was 6 and got a TV and my sister (then 15) got a Nintendo. Ideally they were supposed to go together, however they ended up going together as well as water and oil. Other Then that though I honestly can not recall a gift I got.

What I do recall, however is the That My Father (Episcopalian) Tried very hard to teach us about what Hanukkah was all about, even though we only had a manorra made out of Aluminum Foil. My Family is Traditionally Jewish on my Mothers Side of the Family. I also remembered the Sheer Joy of a Lit, Decorated Tree and how much it brightened the house up. I remembered when all the gifts I gave were from a sale the PTA held at my Elementry School. I remembered Stockings First and Picking one new toy to pack over night to Grandma where we would go For the Roast Beef Dinner, And I remember one Christmas Spent in Charlottsville where My feet throb at the thought of stepping on my Cousins Lego's. I also remember a Christmas where I left my Warm house and willingly went to Grandmas to spend time with Family despite the fact there was no electricity and only the fire place to heat the whole house, and how it was one of the best things to happen to our family that had lost 2 of its members in two years. That Christmas we listened to Carols over a battery powered radio and played scrabble over and over with the same board my Father had as a Child and a Dictionary that Listed Eisenhower as the most recent President. They were good Memories.

I tried not to dwell on the Bad Christmas's but I reminded myself of the Lessons learned from them, and pushed on to planning Family Traditons. With a new baby we had plenty of new ones.

NEW TRADITIONS
Madison was visited, along with her second cousins early on Christmas Eve Where Santa made a quick stop out side the front door and Dropped of some New Christmas PJs. It was Adorable.

Brandon and I Read 'Twas the night before Christmas to Madison nearly every night in December along with a reading of the Story of Baby Jesus.

Pictures coming Down the Stairs for the first time on Christmas Morning.



What are some Traditions that you have?


As Always,
Misty

No comments: